Additional Information: Show/Hide
Special Ed Personal Care Assistant
Special Program Asstant II - 7 hours
START DATE: August 23, 2023
WORK DAYS: 185
SALARY: $16.03 - 20.12 depending upon prior experience. Currently Classified union is bargaining so this is last year's salary range. This will change.
In addition, we pay your PERS contribution. This position is subject to a funded budget based on staffing needs. Specific assignment is subject to change.
Stayton High School is looking for a highly qualified energetic, positive, self-starter who is a team player.
Under the direct supervision of a licensed teacher or administrator, the Special Programs Assistant II performs support services to special needs students in the Life Skills classroom located at Stayton School that serves the needs of students in grades 9-12 with moderate to severe disabilities.
Positions assigned to the Special Programs Assistant II classification are distinguished by the responsibility to provide, under teacher supervision, direct instruction and support to students with moderate to severe disabilities and assist with the development of teaching materials.
To perform this job successfully an individual must be able to execute each requirement satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/ or ability needed for the position.
At the time of hire, candidates must qualify by having met at least one of the following requirements:
- Completed at least two years of study at an institution of higher education
- Obtain an Associate’s Degree or higher; or
- Demonstrate, through a formal state or local academic assessment, the knowledge of and ability to assist in the instruction of reading, writing, and mathematics or the instruction in readiness for these subjects.
Experience working with special needs students preferred.
- 18 years of age or older
- Ability to work harmoniously with others and to communicate effectively (both orally and in writing) with students, parents, and staff
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of students and their records
- Ability to supervise individual or groups of student(s) in an instructional setting without constant teacher oversight; work in a team situation
- Ability to work with students who may exhibit aggressive behavior, as required of specific job assignment
- Ability to work with students who require attention to basic feeding and personal hygiene needs, as required by specific job assignment
- Demonstrate standards of moral character and behavior to serve as an effective role model for students
- Understand basic provision of IDEA, due process procedures, and the IEP’s for children identified as disabled, as required by specific job assignment
- Demonstrate a positive attitude in working with children with special needs
- Knowledge of business English, spelling, math, office practices and procedures, and computer skills
- Ability to direct and respond appropriately to students
- Ability to work effectively in an environment that can be both physically and emotionally fatiguing; perform physically demanding requirements of the job
- In an ESL/ migratory position, as specified by the administrator, ability to be bilingual in Spanish, English, or other languages (speak, read, and write)
- Ability to deliver instructional programs to students who have learning and physical disabilities and/ or social behavior problems, as required by specific job assignments
- Perform physical requirements which may include:
A. High level of degree of physical stamina and frequent lifting up to 50 lbs.
B. Frequent standing, walking, and bending
C. Physically restraining students as needed, utilizing training procedures
D. Possible exposure to bodily fluids in assisting students with using restrooms and in tending to injury and illness
- Such alternatives to the above requirements as the School Board or Administration may deem appropriate and acceptable
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Assist special education teaching staff with implementing individualized education plan (IEP). Participate as a member of the IEP team as requested and attend IEP meetings as a member of the team when required, as required by specific job assignment.
2. Assist special education teaching staff responsible for writing, reviewing, updating, implementing, and evaluating instructional programs, as required by specific job assignment.
3. Assist special education teaching staff responsible for preparation, implementation, and evaluation of individual and group behavioral programs, as required by specific job assignment.
4. Assist special education teaching staff in communicating with teachers and parents on student’s progress, as required by specific job assignment.
5. Assist with recordkeeping to monitor students’ daily and monthly data on instructional and behavioral progress, as required by specific job assignment.
6. Assist with physical management of disabled student(s), including lifting, moving, positioning, feeding, diapering/toileting, and personal hygiene, as required by specific job assignment. Additional nurse-directed procedures may be assigned.
7. Assist classroom teacher in diagnostic testing and reporting.
8. Provide remedial instruction as requested.
9. Prepare and teach a unit of instruction under the supervision of a teacher.
10. Perform clerical duties such as typing, computer entry, duplicating, and recordkeeping.
11. Provide supervision of student(s) in buildings or other school areas and school-related activities (i.e., hall duty, at assemblies, in lunch and playground areas, or with school buses as required).
12. Assist the classroom teacher in maintaining class and student records.
13. Maintain a high level of ethical behavior and confidentiality of information about students and staff.
14. Participate in in-service programs as assigned.
15. Act as a friendly ambassador of the NorthSantiamSchool District
16. Perform such other tasks (which may require knowledge of other job descriptions) as deemed appropriate to the Board or Administration.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
1. Valid First Aid card as required
2. HQ Paraprofessional
3. Criminal Justice Fingerprint Clearance
4. Bloodborne Pathogen Training/ Hepatitis B Shot Series Training as required