Reading/Resource Teaching Assistant (SPA I) 3 hrs/day
North Santiam School District 29J
- Position Type:
Class Support Staff/SPA I - Reading/Resource Teaching Assist
- Date Posted:
Sublimity Elem./Middle Schools
- Date Available:
- Additional Information: Show/Hide
Special Program Assistant I - 3 hrs/day
START DATE: August 23, 2023
WORK DAYS: 185
SALARY: We are currently beginning bargaining for the 2023-24 school year, which will result in an increase to pay. Pay for the 2022-23 school year ranges from $15.39 - 19.43, depending upon prior experience.
Sublimity School is looking for a highly qualified, energetic, positive, self-starter who is a team player. Experience working with struggling readers is preferred. This position will primarily consist of small group reading instruction and assistance for K-5 students.
- High School Diploma or equivalent as required by OAR 581-37-030, Oregon Department of Education
- 18 years of age or older
- Associate's Degree or higher; or
- Ability to demonstrate the knowledge of and ability to assist in the instruction of reading, writing, and mathematics or the instruction in readiness for these subjects.
- Deliver instructional programs to students as assigned by supervising teachers
- Work effectively in an environment that can both be physically and emotionally fatiguing
- Learn growth and development principles of students with special needs according to area of assignment
- Learn and administer basic first aid requirements
- Maintain confidentiality
- Understand and appropriately interpret instruction plans
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both oral and written
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work
JOB RESPONSIBILITIES (may include but not limited to the following):
- Assist in implementing learning experiences to students enrolled in program; confer with teacher to provide feedback on student performance in tutorial and testing activities
- Interpret and carry out instructional plans, with guidelines set by certified teacher; follow specific lesson and tutorial strategies as outlined by teacher
- Instruct students in small group and one-on-one settings, often without direct teacher oversight; review lesson plan or teaching strategy during instructional activity as necessary to achieve goals and objectives
- Regular attendance and punctuality
- Maintain a high level of ethical behavior
- Outdoor supervision of student groups
- Help students develop positive interpersonal relationships with peers and adults; promote safety of the students by helping them develop self-confidence
- Interpret and implement a behavior management program; train and assist students in behavior management; provide education regarding appropriate interpersonal actions; respond to discipline programs; act as a role model
- Attend in-service and workshop training related to area of assignment; apply training to instructional responsibilities
- Perform a variety of general clerical duties including writing attendance reports, grading papers, and maintaining accurate files
- Perform related duties as assigned
North Santiam is a PBIS District Positive Behavior Supports (PBIS) focuses efforts on creating an environment that supports the educational environment. PBIS schools use school-wide and classroom positive reinforcement to promote expected behavior, teach behavioral expectations like academic skills, and use data-based information to guide intervention and management.
This position is subject to a funded budget based on staffing needs. Specific assignment is subject to change.