Family Building Blocks in Salem, OR is seeking a Staff Accountant to support our mission to "Keep Children Safe and Families together."
The Staff Accountant at Family Building Blocks is a critical member of the finance team responsible for conducting in-depth general ledger reconciliations, ensuring accuracy, and adherence to accounting standards and practices. The Staff Accountant will have responsibilities that go beyond that of a Bookkeeper. This role requires a keen eye for detail, strong analytical skills, and the ability to navigate complex financial data to support the organization's financial integrity and reporting.
What we offer:
- Starting Salary Range: $50,000-$60,000 per year
- Employer-paid Medical and Dental insurance with buy-up options starting the 1st of the month after hire
- 25% of spouse/child/family premiums paid by FBB
- Discounted fitness center/gym memberships and wellness benefits
- Alternative care supplemental benefits (Chiropractic, Acupuncture, Massage Therapy & Naturopathic)
- Generous paid time off (192 hours annually)
- Paid time off to volunteer at other organizations.
- Inclement weather paid time off
- 10-11 Paid holidays
- Discounted personal cellphone plans
- Student loan forgiveness through Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF)
- Options for HSA, FSA, and Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account FSA. FBB will contribute $500 (prorated based on FTE) HSA 1st year employees enrolling in HDHP
- Employer-paid basic group Life Insurance with options for $100,000 guarantee issue amount life, $25,000 spouse, and $10,000 child
- Options for Legal/ID Shield
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Voluntary Supplemental Benefits: Short-Term and Long-Term Disability Insurance, Supplemental Life, AD&D (self, spouse, and children)
- Day one 401(k) option with a 4% annual percentage match on a vested schedule
Why work at Family Building Blocks, recognized as one of the Best 100 Non-Profits in Oregon?
Family Building Blocks is a non-profit organization that serves children and families with the mission to keep children safe and families together. Our values reflect the services we provide and the culture we embrace for our staff. Our Rock Star employees are the most valuable asset we have and we appreciate their hard work and dedication. Our employees enjoy working and thriving in a positive and collaborative work environment that fosters professional growth, inclusiveness, and diversity.
- Perform detailed general ledger reconciliations for various accounts, including but not limited to revenue, expenses, assets, and liabilities.
- Analyze financial transactions and records to identify discrepancies and ensure data accuracy and consistency.
- Collaborate with the finance team to resolve any discrepancies found during the reconciliation process and take appropriate corrective actions.
- Work closely with the Finance Director to implement and enforce accounting standards, policies, and best practices.
- Stay updated with changes in accounting regulations and standards, ensuring compliance in financial reporting and processes.
- Provide technical support in the preparation of financial statements, including balance sheets, income statements, and cash flow statements.
- Assist with internal and external audits, providing necessary documentation and explanations related to reconciliations and financial data.
- Develop and maintain effective internal controls to safeguard financial data and ensure data integrity.
- Support the preparation of grant-related financial reports, ensuring accuracy and compliance with funding source requirements.
- Support the communication between the Finance and Development departments, ensuring timely and thorough reconciliation, and accurate record keeping.
Qualifications and Skills:
- Bachelor's degree in accounting, Finance, or related field, or five years progressively increasing responsibility in a finance roll, or a combination of experience and education that is equivalent.
- Proven experience (1-2 years) in technical accounting, general ledger reconciliations, and financial analysis.
- Non-profit Fund Accounting, Grant Accounting or Abila MIP experience a plus.
- Strong understanding of accounting principles, standards, and practices.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills, with an eye for detail and accuracy.
- Proficient in using accounting software and MS Excel for financial analysis and data manipulation.
- Knowledge of regulatory requirements and compliance related to financial reporting for non-profit organizations is advantageous.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team, managing multiple tasks and deadlines effectively.
- Strong communication skills to collaborate with team members, management, and auditors.
- Ability to complete and pass all pre-employment screenings.