Benefits & Leave Specialist
Family Building Blocks, Doris's Place
- 180 18th Street Northeast, Salem, OR, USA
- 23-25 per hour Additional $.50 per hour for bilingual differential
- Full Time
- Employer-paid Medical and Dental insurance with buy-up options starting the 1st of the month after hire
Family Building Blocks' Human Resources team in Salem OR is growing and looking for an experienced full-time Human Resources Benefits & Leave Specialist to join our Rock Star team to support our mission to "Keep Children Safe and Families together."
As part of the Human Resources team, the HR Benefits & Leave Specialist reports to the HR Director and is responsible for benefits and leave administration, and assists with 401(k) plan management and governmental regulatory compliance. The HR Benefits & Leave Specialist will offer superior and supportive customer service to employees, supervisors, and managers by thoughtfully and thoroughly answering questions and support. As with all staff at FBB, this person is expected to be a strong contributor to a positive, supportive, and productive workplace culture characterized by teamwork and mutual respect in furtherance of our mission. Works with HR Director and Leadership to support FBB's goals in Diversity Equity and Inclusive, Strategic Plan, and assist on HR projects as assigned.
What we offer:
- Starting Hourly Rate (DOE): $23-$25 (additional $.50 per hour for English/Spanish bilingual differential)
- Employer-paid Medical and Dental insurance for employees with buy-up options starting the 1st of the month after hire
- 25% of spouse/child/family premiums paid by FBB
- Options for HSA, FSA, and Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account FSA. FBB will contribute $500 (prorated based on FTE) to HSA 1st year employees enroll in HDHP
- Discounted fitness center/gym memberships and wellness benefits
- Alternative care supplemental benefits (Chiropractic, Acupuncture, Massage Therapy & Naturopathic)
- Generous paid time off (192 hours annually, accrual of 16 hours per month) for full-time employees, prorated for part-time employees.
- 8 hours of paid time off to volunteer at other organizations for FT employees, prorated hours for part-time employees.
- Inclement weather paid time off
- 10-11 Paid holidays
- Discounted personal cellphone plans with T-Mobile and Verizon.
- Student loan forgiveness through Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF)
- Employer-paid basic group Life Insurance with options for $100,000 guarantee issue amount life, $25,000 spouse, and $10,000 child
- Voluntary Supplemental Benefits: Short-Term and Long-Term Disability Insurance, Supplemental Life, AD&D (self, spouse, and children)
- Options for Legal/ID Shield
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Day one 401(k) option with a 4% annual percentage match on a vested schedule
Why work at Family Building Blocks, recognized as one of the Best 100 Non-Profits in Oregon?
Family Building Blocks is a non-profit organization that serves children and families with the mission to keep children safe and families together. Our values reflect the services we provide and the culture we embrace for our staff. Our Rock Star employees are the most valuable asset we have and we appreciate their hard work and dedication. Our employees enjoy working and thriving in a positive and collaborative work environment that fosters professional growth, inclusiveness, and diversity.
HR Benefits & Leave Specialist Key Responsibilities:
- Serves as primary contact to employee and supervisor and is responsible for administering and tracking leaves (FMLA/OFLA, Workers Compensation, ADA, STD, LTD, Paid Leave Oregon, unpaid leave), tracks and monitors leave dates, ensures record-keeping, and assists team members with coordination of additional benefits and works collaboratively with supervisors and managers.
- Provides knowledgeable information, guidance, and excellent customer service to all and each employee on general and specific matters related to benefits and leaves as well as to related policies and practices.
- Leads the benefit administration process: schedules, documents, updates, conducts benefit orientations for employees, and assists employees in resolving benefit issues.
- Serves as primary contact for benefits broker and plan vendors. Works closely with the HR Director with the benefit renewal process.
- Organizes open enrollment events; prepares and administers Open Enrollment through the HRIS employee self-service portal; and assists employees with re-enrollment.
- Responsible for managing benefits information in the Human Resources Information System (GNSA), auditing benefits data/census, and collaborating with the Fiscal Specialist on monthly payroll to ensure leaves are entered on timesheets accurately.
- Processes employee updates for COBRA, terminations, changes, beneficiaries, disability, accident, and death claims distributions, etc.
- Audits ACA Compliance Rules and generates annual 1094-C and 1095-C forms in HRIS.
- Works closely with HR Director in administering 401(k) plan, enrollment, and audits.
- Supports the work of the team and partners with the HR Director, HR Generalist, and Leadership to implement and administer various HR programs such as, but not limited to, compliance reporting, recruiting, employee relations, performance management, and training to increase and maintain a thriving diverse, and inclusive workforce that meets the FBB's needs to achieve our vision and mission.
- A minimum of two years of college or an associate degree in business or a related field is required and four years of Human Resources experience administering benefits and leave and/or training; or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience will be considered.
- Comprehensive knowledge of EEO compliance, ADA, OFLA/FMLA requirements, Paid Leave Oregon compliance, working knowledge of Federal and Oregon employment law, COBRA, Worker's Compensation, Unemployment, and HR best practices.
- Strong commitment to Family Building Blocks' mission and values and Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion serving children and families as well as staff.
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment and to promote a positive, forward-thinking, and strength-based culture.
- Excellent customer service, verbal, and written communication skills; ability to effectively communicate and work as a team with diverse staff, board members, volunteers, vendors, and partners.
- Must possess a positive, professional, and "can do" attitude. Takes the initiative, self-motivated, and is proactive.
- Strong proficiency in Office 365 (Outlook, Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Teams, SharePoint) and HRIS and database experience. Ability to learn new programs required for the position.
- Possess strong organizational, time management, analytical, and problem-solving skills, and ability to stay calm in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to analyze situations and use independent judgment, tact, compassion, and discretion to address and solve problems when working with our diverse staff.
- Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality and handle such information appropriately with a high level of discretion.
- Ability to contribute to a positive and professional atmosphere at FBB and promote caring, calm, and respectful interactions with families, children, volunteers, interns, and staff of Family Building Blocks.
- A commitment to ongoing training and a willingness to receive and act upon feedback.
- Support Family Building Blocks established safety policies and procedures toward a safe and healthy work environment.
- Bilingual English/Spanish and bicultural are strongly preferred.
- Professional in Human Resources (PHR), Senior Professional in Human Resources (SPHR), or SHRM certification preferred.
- On occasion, be able to work early mornings and evenings as needed.
- Possess a valid Oregon Driver's license, acceptable driving record, and reliable transportation
- Must obtain a First Aid/ CPR card and Food Handler's card within 30 days of employment.
- Successfully pass an employer-paid pre-employment drug test and criminal conviction background check.