Dental Assistant I
JOB TITLE: Dental Assistant I
REPORTS TO: Practice Manager
Advantage Dental Oral Health Center and its family of affiliated practices (Sarrell Dental & Eye, Community Dental Care) are working to revolutionize oral health care for communities across the United States. To do this, we take a unique, industry-leading approach to care delivery by creating lasting healthy outcomes through positive dental experiences. We call this all-in approach Preventistry®.
Advantage Dental and affiliate practices are bound by a mission: To improve the oral health of all. Comprised of 80 practices, over 200 providers and more than 800 support employees throughout six states, our network of practices provide care to over a quarter of a million patients annually. Join our team to be part of something greater, driving change that supports a more effective oral health care system. Together we are creating healthy, confident smiles across the Nation.
JOB SUMMARY: Under general supervision of a Dentist in a practice care setting, assists the dentist in providing dental treatment.
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Responsible for assisting with patient paperwork, including charting dental needs and documenting patient oral and medical health records
- Assists dentist(s) in all clinical and chairside dental procedures, which includes patient management through treatment.
- Responsible for utilizing inventory appropriately and management of dental supplies.
- Responsible for taking and developing x-rays as prescribed by the dentist while following radiographic safety measures, upon certification.
- Performs sterilization and disinfection techniques of dental instruments and treatment rooms as required by OSHA, CDC, and ADA guidelines.
- Communicates effectively and compassionately to patients about dental treatment needs and recommendations as prescribed by the dentist(s); this includes discussing home care and post-operative care after procedures and surgeries.
- Prepares various materials such as dental cements, impression materials or other restorative materials as prescribed by the dentist(s) or hygienist.
- Responsible for setup of treatment room, to include keeping the room organized and properly maintained.
- Following appropriate training, responsible for the maintenance of all dental equipment.
- Assists in the prevention and management of dental medical emergencies.
- Assists with Front Desk or other administrative duties as assigned.
- Attends and participates in team meetings, and effectively works in collaboration with others to achieve business objectives.
- Maintains patient records in compliance with HIPAA.
- Other duties as needed or required.
- High School Diploma or GED required.
- Strong customer service and communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to adapt to changes and manage time effectively.
- For those without previous dental assisting experience, willingness to train on the job through an internal training program.
- Current CPR, BLS or PALS required or ability to obtain within 30 days of start date.
- Radiology certificate as required by state, or willingness to obtain within 180 days of start date.
- Ability to work Monday-Friday and occasional weekends as scheduled and based on business needs
- Ability to maintain continuing education (CE) as required by state or business requirements.
- Ability to travel to work at other practices as needed.
- Previous experience as a dental assistant and/or completion of a dental assisting program
- Advanced certifications such as EDDA, CDA, RDA, EFDA/EFODA
- Work involves considerable exposure to unusual elements, such as extreme temperatures, unpleasant odors, and/or loud noises.
- Will work with blood or blood-borne pathogens and will require OSHA training
- Incumbent must be able to communicate effectively.
- Requires overall light physical effort (up to 25lbs.)
- Manual dexterity and sitting is required in carrying out position own position responsibilities (i.e. use of personal compute).
- Ability to travel or move about within and outside serviced facilities required.
- Incumbent works primarily in either a private or shared office environment.
The specific statements shown in each section of this description are not intended to be all-inclusive. They represent typical elements and criteria necessary to successfully perform this position.** In accordance with DentaQuest’s Compliance Plan, employee must conduct DQ business in accordance with applicable laws, regulations, professional standards and ethical standards and report potential compliance or ethical issues to manager or DQ’s Compliance Officer. ** DentaQuest’s Affirmative Action Program affirms our commitment to make reasonable accommodation to the known physical or mental limitation of otherwise-qualified individuals with disabilities or special disabled veterans, unless the accommodation would impose an undue hardship on the operation of our business. Please see Human Resources for additional information regarding this Program.