Food Service Director
The North Santiam School District is searching for a dynamic leader with a wealth of knowledge in leading a successful district-wide nutrition services program. This is a 235 day/year position. Salary range for a candidate with preferred experience and education is $67,720-$74,000 with additional stipend income of $18,000.
Perform managerial and supervisory duties operating a district-wide food service operation for both North Santiam School District and Cascade School District. Collaborate with others in the school, school district, and community to operate a successful district nutrition program that complies with all state and federal regulations and district policy.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to execute each requirement satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability needed for the position.
High School Diploma or equivalent is required, as per OAR 581-37-030, Oregon Department of Education. Bachelor’s degree is preferred.
- Minimum of three years of experience as a Food Service Director is required.
- 21 years of age or older
- Ability to work harmoniously with others and to communicate effectively (both orally and in writing) with students, parents, staff and the general public
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions with limited supervision
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Ability to plan and prepare food for the proper nutritional needs of children within the requirements of the National School Lunch Program
- Ability to supervise food service employees for the district
- Ability to manage food service budget
- Ability to prepare and maintain complex financial and related records
- Knowledge of proper methods of planning, preparing, cooking, serving foods, and proper procedures involved in managing a large school lunch program with the federal and state forms as required
- Knowledge of kitchen sanitation, safe work practices, and the ability to maintain cleanliness
- Knowledge of how to receive and properly store food and miscellaneous supplies for future use
- Knowledge of how to requisition proper food amounts and following the established purchasing procedures
- Knowledge of basic computer skills, including data and word processing
- Knowledge of state and federal child nutrition rules and regulations, including the free and reduced lunch process
- Perform physical requirements which may include:
- Moderate degree of physical stamina and frequent lifting up to 50 lbs.
- Frequent walking, bending, reaching, twisting and prolonged periods of
- Exposure to noise, heat, cold, hot and cold surfaces, and sharp and moving
- Requires coordination and dexterity to prepare foods
- Ability to move freely around the kitchen and storage areas to perform food preparation and food serving duties
- Such alternative to the above requirements as the School Board or the Administration may deem appropriate and acceptable.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities (other duties may also be assigned):
Instruct, supervise and personally perform in the safe, proper and efficient use of kitchen equipment and in the preparation and serving of school lunches and breakfasts
- Supervise the cleaning of dishes and equipment, and set standards of efficiency and sanitation in food preparation
- Schedule work time and daily duties of kitchen staff
- Order food and supplies and maintain the inventory of food and equipment
- Maintain financial and related records; prepare written and computerized reports as requested
- Train food service employees on use of foodservice computer program as needed
- Evaluate quality of prepared foods based on flavor, nutritional and appearance standards
- Oversee the implementation of the free and reduced school lunch program
- Participate in in-service programs as assigned
- Maintain a high level of ethical behavior and confidentiality of information about students, parents and staff
- Act as a friendly ambassador for the North Santiam School District
- Perform such other tasks (which may require knowledge of other job descriptions) as may seem to be appropriate to the Board or Administration
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS, BONDING, AND/OR TESTING REQUIRED:
Must possess a valid First Aid card
- Criminal Justice Fingerprint Clearance
- Pre-employment physical may be required
- Must possess a valid Food Handler’s Certificate
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT: Days and hours to be arranged, with salary according to current schedule.
EVALUATION: Following the probationary period, performance of this job will be evaluated annually in accordance with provisions of the Board’s policy on evaluation of supervisory personnel.