Custodian: Swing Shift
HOURS: The hours are from M-F, 3:00-11:30 PM
To provide the students with a safe, attractive, comfortable, clean, and efficient place in which to learn, play, and develop. To perform cleaning work in school buildings and school grounds according to schedule provided by Head Custodian/ Administrator/Facilities Director.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Clean areas of the school as assigned (i.e., classrooms, halls, offices, restrooms, cafeteria, kitchen, gymnasium, etc.) vacuum, mop, buff floors, wash windows, clean chalk/ whiteboards, dust, paint, replace light bulbs, make minor repairs, etc.
- Sweep walks and entrances, and pick up debris and perform some maintenance on the grounds, clean drains, gutters, and roofs
- Wash, scrub, disinfect restrooms daily, and clean all sanitary fixtures, door panels, and drinking fountains daily
- Clean up spills, pick up trash, respond to special requests for custodial services from faculty members with supervisor approval
- Set up, take down, and move furniture, shelving, and partitions as assigned
- Report safety, sanitary, and fire hazards to the proper authority
- During the day shift perform routine groundskeeping duties as grass cutting, tree, and shrub trimming to maintain the school grounds in a safe and attractive condition
- Clean and polish any metal works such as hand railings
- Be responsible for locking doors and windows, turning out lights and securing building as assigned
- Assist in maintaining an inventory of supplies and equipment
- Check daily to ensure that all exit doors are open and all panic bars are working properly during the hours of building occupancy
- Maintain a high level of ethical behavior and confidentiality when dealing with student and staff information
- Assist in greeting and directing visitors to the appropriate person and location
- Participate in complete cleaning and routine maintenance of buildings during the summer and winter breaks
- Participate in in-service programs as assigned
- Act as a friendly ambassador for the North Santiam School District
- Perform such other tasks (which may require knowledge of other job descriptions) as may seem to be appropriate to the Board or Administration.
- High School diploma or equivalent (some experience in school custodial work preferred.)
- 18 years of age or older
- Ability to work harmoniously with others and to communicate effectively (both orally and in writing) with students, parents, and teachers
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions
- Ability to make minor repairs
- Ability to use cleaning materials and equipment with skill, efficiency, and safety
- Knowledge of cleaning methods and the use, care and safety of cleaning materials and equipment
- Knowledge of requirements for maintaining school buildings in a safe, clean, and orderly condition
- Knowledge of the operation of a heating plant and equipment
- Familiar with handling and disposal of hazardous materials
- Perform physical requirements which may include:
A. Requires moderate to extensive degree of physical stamina and frequent lifting up to 50 lbs. and occasional lifting up to 100 lbs.
B. Ability to lift and move furniture, desks, shelving, staging, and cleaning supplies
C. Requires ability to operate buffers, scrubbers, vacuum cleaners, lawn mowers, and other equipment
D. Requires ability to climb ladders, stretch and bend to perform cleaning, repairs, painting, cleaning roof gutters, and drains
E. Ability to walk to various locations within the school building and the grounds
F. Ability to work primarily in a standing position
G. Possible exposure to bodily fluids in cleaning due to student injury or illness
- Ability to work primarily during evening hours when school is in session and change to daytime hours at other times of the year
- Ability to demonstrate standards of moral character and behavior to serve as an effective role model for students
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS, BONDING AND/OR TESTING REQUIRED:
1. Possess and maintain a valid First Aid card if required
2. Criminal Justice Fingerprint Clearance
3. Valid Oregon Driver’s License (preferred)
4. Bloodborne Pathogen Training/ Hepatitis B Shot Series Training
WORK CONDITIONS: Work is both indoors and outdoors, requiring physical effort in carrying out maintenance and repair work with frequent lifting of moderate to heavy objects. Employees may be exposed to power tools, heights, paint fumes and other potentially hazardous situations for which appropriate safety practices may be required.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
|Primary Location||Stayton Intermediate|
|Salary Range||$13.96 - 17.93 *2018-19 rates / Hourly|
|Shift Type||Full Time|