General Statement of Duties
Works with facilities manager to maintain the buildings and property of the school, ensuring that all facilities
are in working order. Handles janitorial responsibilities and other upkeep as needed.
Essential Functions/Major Responsibilities
The essential functions/major responsibilities listed are intended only as an illustration of the various types of
work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the
position. Duties and responsibilities are also subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer
and requirements of the job change.
- Ensures that the school and associated property is maintained in a clean and
orderly manner, including but not limited to:
- Vacuums, dusts, mops and waxes floors
- Cleans restrooms, locker rooms and washes windows
- Cleans classrooms, school offices and common areas
- Replaces light bulbs as necessary
- Keeps janitorial closets and cupboards clean, orderly and locked at all times
- Collects and disposes of trash
- Maintains grounds in a clean, safe manner, including but not limited to:
- Pressure washes buildings and walkways
- Keeps driveway(s) and sidewalk(s) clean of snow and ice
- Weeds, prunes and rakes as necessary
- Maintains playground in safe and clean manner
- Maintains an inventory of cleaning and maintenance supplies
- Performs maintenance as needed, such as light carpentry work and repair work
- Complies with requirements for bloodborne pathogens training, etc.
- Secures premises upon completion of work
- Sets up rooms for special functions
- Other duties as assigned
- Demonstrates a positive and caring attitude with administrators, students, staff, and parents
- Maintains a strict level of confidentiality
- Performs other work-related duties as requested by the facilities manager
The Custodian encounters recurring work situations with occasional variations from the norm with a moderate
degree of complexity. The Custodian operates from established and well-known procedures and determines
own practices and procedures, operating independently with minimal supervision.
Contacts are normally made with others both inside and outside the school. Contacts are usually made at
facility manager’s request and may contain confidential/sensitive matters.
Specific Job Skills
- Establish and maintain working relationships
based on mutual confidence and respect
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Prioritize workload to meet program requirements
- Identify problems and their solutions
- Ability to accurately and effectively operate
maintenance and janitorial equipment
- Ability to interact with children
in a positive manner
- Be flexible, creative, responsible
- Maintain confidentiality
- Pays attention to detail
- Work both independently and
as a member of a team
Experience in custodial, building and grounds maintenance preferred. Knowledge of plumbing and electrical systems. Proficient in use and care of custodial equipment and supplies. Familiar with OSHA safety requirements relating to school buildings and grounds to include the storage and use of hazardous materials.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to stand, walk, crawl, climb, stoop, talk, reach,
sit, hear, handle and perform repetitive motions of the hands/wrists, knees, and feet. Lifts and moves items up
to 50 pounds.
Work is performed both indoors and outdoors. Must be able to work flexible hours when necessary.
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described above are representative of the physical capabilities that must be met by an employee and the working conditions that an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals
with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Send applications and resumes to: