AVID eTutor (prior NSSD tutors)
eTutoring Positions Available for the 2020-2021 School Year
2 to 10 hours per week between 8:00 a.m. - Noon, depending on need.
Summary: Tutors will work with small groups of middle and/or high school students under the supervision of an AVID teacher. The tutor is a role model and an important part of the support system for AVID students. Tutors must attend training classes and will utilize AVID strategies. Flexible times often work well with college students’ schedules. For more information check out the AVID website: www.avid.org.
Under direct supervision of the AVID coordinator, tutors perform the following tasks:
- Become familiar with the 10-Step AVID Tutorial process.
- Participate in all required trainings, professional development sessions, and meetings.
- Become familiar with the textbooks and materials used by AVID students.
- Establish and maintain rapport with students.
- Tutor students in small study groups or individually, assisting them in all subject areas based on the class and text notes they have collected in their AVID binders.
- Determine, from student notes and discussions, the concepts that need to be taught or re-taught.
- Facilitate student learning in a challenging, yet supportive, tutoring environment.
- Evaluate student binders, including calendars, class and text notes, book notes, etc.
- Assist in developing a resource file of enrichment materials for use in tutorial sessions.
- Set an example of personal excellence and high expectations for all AVID students to follow.
- Communicate frequently and honestly with the AVID coordinator regarding student progress and areas of concern.
- Have excellent attendance and communication with AVID elective teachers.