Assistant: SPA I - ELL SIS/SMS (Spanish/English bilingual)
This position is subject to a funded budget based on staffing needs. Specific assignment is subject to change.
Special Programs Assistant - ELL Under the direct supervision of a licensed teacher or administrator, the Special Programs Assistant I performs support services to special needs students in the ELL program, resource room, Title I program, strategic reading/math program or other school-related areas associated with yellow zone support under the RTI model. Positions may be contingent upon available federal funding, and needs of given student(s).
Distinguishing Characteristics: Positions assigned to the Special Programs Assistant I classification are distinguished by the responsibility to provide, under teacher supervision, direct instruction to students identified as Resource, Title I, Strategic, or ELL, etc., and assist with the development of teaching materials. Ability to speak Spanish required.
Essential Requirements: To perform this job successfully an individual must be able to execute each requirement satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/ or ability needed for the position.
- High School Diploma or equivalent as required by OAR 581-37-030, Oregon Department of Education
- 18 years of age or older
- Must be Highly Qualified at the time of hire- Associate's Degree or higher or has passed WESD's Paraprofessional Assessment
- Ability to work harmoniously with others and to communicate effectively (both orally and in writing) with students, parents, and staff
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of students and their records
- Ability to supervise individual or groups of student(s) in an instructional setting without constant teacher oversight; work in a team situation
- Ability to work with students who may exhibit aggressive behavior, as required of specific job assignment
- Demonstrate standards of moral character and behavior to serve as an effective role model for students
- Demonstrate a positive attitude in working with children with special needs
- Ability to direct and respond appropriately to students
- Ability to work effectively in an environment which can be both physically and emotionally fatiguing; perform physically demanding requirements of the job
- Ability to deliver instructional programs to students who have learning and physical disabilities and/ or social behavior problems, as required by specific job assignment.
- Essential Duties and Responsibilities.
- Become knowledgeable of the program philosophy, curriculum, activities and support services and assist the district staff in determining appropriate accommodations modified to meet the needs of the targeted students.
- Assist English language development teaching staff responsible for preparation, implementation, and evaluation of individual and group behavioral programs, as required by specific job assignment.
- Assist English language development teaching staff in communicating with teachers and parents on student’s progress, as required by specific job assignment.
- Assist with recordkeeping to monitor students’ daily and monthly data on instructional and behavioral progress, as required by specific job assignment.
- Assist classroom teacher in diagnostic testing and reporting.
- Provide remedial instruction as requested. Prepare and teach a unit of instruction under the supervision of a teacher.
- Perform clerical duties such as typing, computer entry, duplicating and recordkeeping.
- Provide supervision of student(s) in buildings or other school areas and school-related activities (i.e., hall duty, at assemblies, in lunch and playground areas, or with school buses as required).
- Assist the classroom teacher in maintaining class and student records.
- Maintain a high level of ethical behavior and confidentiality of information about students and staff.
- Participate in in-service programs as assigned.
- Act as a friendly ambassador of the North Santiam School District
- Perform such other tasks (which may require knowledge of other job descriptions) as deemed appropriate to the Board or Administration.
Primary Location STAYTON MIDDLE SCHOOL Salary Range $12.92 - $16.73 / Annual Shift Type Full Time